The Ideological Persuade

As we discussed in class, there is an ideological persuade lodged in just about any persuasive appeal involving logos - the attempt to change the way one thinks is inherent to outcomes ranging from getting people to buy laundry detergent to changing the way one thinks about socialized medicine. Couple that with emotion; passion, fear, anger, and the appeal has more efficacy, it's the reason why rhetorical prowess appeals to both hearts and minds.

The BBC ran a poignant series on ideology, examining calculated and crafted political ploys to strike an affect in the hearts and minds of their constituents, not the least of which are you and me. And certainly, the argument could be made that the series I've included in this blog is just as calculating. Take the time when you can to watch these and let us all know what you think.













If this leaves you shaking your head, you're not alone. If this leaves you feeling a bit vulnerable against the power of ideological appeals, you're learning.

Understand the objectivity of the BBC in this report, a British news entity outside of the enclave of American journalism, outside the slants an angles of the agendas that drive information gathering from left to right. Credibility? Competency? What do you think?

8 comments:

  1. I think this was an excellent piece of journalism. I have a son serving in Iraq so understanding the Middle East conflict is of great interest to me. I agree with your comment on the agendas American journalism operates on. It is very hard to find stories that nuetral and are not trying to persuade you one way or the other. Whatever happened to just giving the facts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur with Julie, with information so readily available through the media and internet, I'm constantly asking myself is this a valid source?The examples of power are frightening but couple power with religion and it is terrifying. This is an example of actions that are done in the name of religion undermining freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was very interesting. It definitely had a British slant to it. I didn't agree with some of the things that were said. However, the point is that terrorism and fighting the evil empire is definitely something that idealogically causes an emotional response from people. The piece referred to the "politics of fear." When you look at the response the war in Iraq has generated in this country and in politics, you see the impact of the idealogy of fighting terrorism and fear. We have to be so careful in watching and listening to journalistic pieces in this country and from around the world to weigh the informoation, the objectivity and the persuasive techniques used to appearl to our emotions. There is a lot of power in this and it is used all the time in politics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the video showed a side of the terrorist war that the American people don't see very often. Journalism in the US is usually only concerned with what happens here or things that directly affect what happens here. Until 9/11 most people in the US didn't know or care that much about the terrorist groups in Afghanistan or their attacks in the Middle East. As this video showed, US policy and idealogy have an impact around the world and it sometimes comes back to haunt us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I've concluded watching the entire piece, it was an excellent opportunity to view America through different eyes. How often do we think that our way is the best way. Do we believe that the idealogical persuasion should only work when it's the American's that are persuading? I felt that as with the recent economic downturn, America is being seen in a different light. The level of power in these pieces is daunting. This piece has clearly caused me to think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a little distracted by so many visuals that I had a hard time concentrating on what the British Journalist were saying. I was trying to figure out at the beginning of the piece what all the symbols were. I feel that the part about the young boy with the machine gun pretending to spill bullets into a crowd scared me to death. I saw that the Journalists were using fear to persuade a third point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a facinating story. The little boy pretending to shoot people was truly an amazing and thought provoking attention getter. This story had me really going and I started to really ponder things. First of all, I don't know if any of you have seen the movie "Traitor". It is out on DVD now. It helps to explains why terrorists do what they do. They feel that we Americans support our government, therefore we are as guilty as our government in festoring the corruption of democracy. The piece I just watched said the same thing. We think that they are killing innocent people they think that they are simpling killing the enemy. I started thinking about what if it is a good idea to try to negotiate with them. The piece talked about Russia and decribed Washington as a bunch of hardliners. I have always believe that we should not negotiate ever with terrorists, but as I look at this from the terrorists viewpoint I wonder if something else would work. In the coming years I think we will find that we will have more attacks in the US. Has it done any good? Also I liked how the piece talked about scandals, political terrorism. The media takes one issue and makes a bigger story than it was ever meant to be. They used the example of Bill Clintin's affair with Monica Lewinsky, but really both democrats and republicans are guilty of exagerating and distorting the truth. One other comment about this that I would like to make is that I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh anymore. I was never a die hard fan, but I usally listened to find out what topic was on for the day. Every since Obama won the presidency Rush has nothing, not one thing to say that is positive. It is all about how Obama going to screw this or that up. Why can't these people give him a chance. No matter who the president might have been I am anxious for changes to come that will have a positive impact on my little life here in St. George. Go Obama!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This report is an eyeopener! It's no wonder we have so little faith in the people in Washington. However the blame shouldn't stop there. It is the media that has the power to convince us as a people on what is going on. This report from the BBC gives an outside view of what is really happening. It's very telling in what can be achieved through persuasion and powerful speakers. It's dis-heartening to hear that we are regarded with so little respect from those who we put into power. It's that same "mob" mentality that the leaders of Rome had.

    It goes to show that true freedom isn't something that you just get. It's something that is earned by being alert and involved, and making our own decisions about how things are (it's very difficult when many of the sources have something to gain).

    It goes to show that if enough people believe something than it may seem true. Be careful of what you are lead to believe, there are very few things that are truly black and white.

    -Derek Dowsett

    ReplyDelete