Persuasive Appeals

8 comments:

  1. I have never compared Obama and Bush side by side, studying their speech, but I believe that I already recognized a difference before; I just never realized what that difference was.
    President Elect Obama spoke with great emotion, exciting the people and building them up. He used historical experiences that have touched us all, along with humor to show how they all required hope and action. Though I did not appreciate how he kept calling the audience "Democrats" (as other parties were watching and could vote for him), I was moved and impressed to support this strong leader.
    President Bush used more logic in his speech, laying out the plan for the bill and answering possible questions the people may have. He showed the necessity of the bill in order for us to succeed and there to be a lower chance of a serious recession. He was straight forward and honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure these two speeeches can be fairly compared. Obama was giving a campaign speech to an already excited audience with probably thousands of supporters and trying to build more excitement. Pres. Bush was giving a televised address to the nation regarding the financial crisis. Two very different situations and audiences. However, whether you are a Barack supporter or not, you can deny he has a gift for public speaking. He is very charismatic and seems to enjoy working the crowd. Pres. Bush's address seemed more serious. The purpose of his speech and the topic was much more sobering than Barack Obama's speech. Obama's words are meant to inspire. He used more fluctuation in his voice and used his finger to point at the audience. He would talk about something, such as hope, and then give examples of hope that the audience could relate to such as "hope is how this country was founded" or "hope is how the Greatest Generation" defeated Hitler. He talked about words and then gave examples of "words" from famous speeches such as "I have a dream", "We have nothing to fear but fear itself," etc. This is very effective and not only enforces the point you are making but helps your audience understand your message. Obama involves his audience by saying, "We will change this country," or "We will transform the world." This builds excitement and helps your audience want to be a part of what you are talking about. Obama is definitely a very gifted speaker who knows how to reach his audience. I still am not sure these two speeches are fair to compare because of the different purposes and settings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The above comment that says "Willard said" is really from me. I am in Las Vegas and was using my bosses computer to wath these clips and post a response. Please don't start calling me Willard!

    ROBERTA MCMULLIN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pres-elect Obama is a very gifted speaker, he articulates well and whether or not he means what he says, you would never know. He is very passionate and captures the attention of his audience by telling them things they can relate to. "I was raised by a single parent" "We can change this county." etc. He speaks will feeling and makes me believe he cares about me individually and that he will make everything all better.
    Even after 8 years, Bush still doesn't get it, you can't relate to him or what he is saying. If he wasn't so embarassing, I would feel sorry for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. President-Elect Obama spoke with energy, charisma, motivation. Of course, it was a campaign speech. President Bush was dealing with a horrible crisis. A pretty sobering ocassion. President-Elect Obama used pathos and President Bush used logos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sometimes wonder what Obama has up his sleeve, I relate to him almost too much (Carisma) and I feel his credibilty is that he too pulled himelf out of trying times to become successful against all odds. He delivers his speech with feeling and proper tone. I have to remind myself some one else wrote his speech. I felt he copied some of Martin Luther Kings delivery strategies. I got a kick out of music played at the end. On the other hand President bush makes me want to take a nap before he even opens his mouth. I wasso bored even though I was intersted in the topic of our economy I had to verbally slap myself awake several times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually liked both speeches although both were very different. There is no doubt that Obama has a talent for speaking, but this speech was a campain speech. He use pathos or emotion to convey to his audience that there needs to be changed. He drew me in and caused me to believe in him that he can help make the change that this country needs. I also think that Bush did an excellent job. He used ethos to present his speech. The lady on You-Tube said that ethos is saying, "I know that you know this". President Bush knows that American's know what is going on. Most people can see in there own lives, there own town, etc. There is some discussion about him using logos to present his speech, there was alot of logic and facts to create a basis of our bad economy. No, President Bush may not be a great speaker, but if Obama was sitting there instead of him he would be using the same slow methodict voice. He would be sitting still and being extremely serious about the issue at hand. Give Bush a break.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The way President Obama speaks is much more dynamic than President Bush. The different tones that Obama takes throughout the speech make it appealing to listen to. Bush on the other hand doesn't change the tone in his delivery much at all, of course some of this could be attributed to the subject matter of the speech. The speeches are being delivered to very different audiences, but if you were to imagine President Obama presenting the same speech as President Bush made on the financial crisis it would be very different. President Obama changes his tone throughout the speeches he gives, and has more charisma. President Bush's delivery of the speech was fine, but feels like it is being read to me, but I was convinced by him that this bailout was necessary.

    There is also some mystery to Obama's character. He is a new player on the stage, or at least to me since I don't follow politics closely. We know what Bush is like, but we aren't sure what Obama is going to do. This leads me to take more interest in what he has to say.

    Bush used more of a logical appeal in his speech. ex. We are spending $700 Billion dollars now to save ourselves from loosing more (okay that makes sense, he even said that over time we could be paid back). Obama used more of an appeal to the audience's emotions. He got them excited. He made them think of other great leaders, he made this about them, and he had a much better ethos about him as I talked about previously in this post.

    -Derek Dowsett

    ReplyDelete